Friday, September 01, 2006

Strange Adventures and Apparitions #158

The Uncanny X-Men #158
“The Life That Late I Led…”
Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum

Plot Synopsis
Fearful of the US Government’s increasing anti-mutant sentiments, the X-Men decide to remove their personal files from the Pentagon’s main databanks. But what’s Rogue doing there?

Rolling Commentary
Page 1. Apparently the Starjammers enter all rooms through a tumbling routine.

Page 3. Oh. I, ah, I guess the intergalactic crises is over. Off panel. *sigh* But hey, nice referencing in panel one.

Page 4. Yay for vague hints about Carol’s powers! And Moira’s back. Huzzah!

Page 6. Yeah, seriously, how are Wolverine’s claws supposed to cut through a telepathic link?

Page 7. Umm… okay, that was odd.

Page 9. God, Senator Kelly’s a dick. I mean, I know that that’s the point of his character, but still. And yes, Kitty, I’m totally sure that it’s absolutely that simple. Their technology is probably totally compatible with Terran computers and security walls.

Page 10. Honestly, Scott, why are you and Corsair dressed like that for the reunion between father and son after 15 years?

Page 12. Rogue just happens to be hanging out in the Pentagon? Also, I think this is Rogue’s first appearance in the X-Men.

Page 13. Rogue had a little thing for Wolverine from the beginning, didn’t she?

Page 15. Ohhhhh! That’s why she was in the Pentagon. Awesome.

Page 16. I though Nightcrawler had to see where he was going to- oh, you know what? Forget it. Full out X-Men super fast costume go!

Page 18. Don’t worry, Ms. Marvel fans! Carol’s not really dead.

Page 19. Told you.

Post Mortem
I kind of like this issue, as ridiculous as it sort of is. The opening was kind of slow, but it was cool to have Rogue kicking X-Men ass.

Is this the beginning of more anti-X-Men feelings in general in the book? Because it needs it, badly. I know I’m way more into that than any of the Star Wars stuff, which is influencing my thoughts here, but the X-Men aren’t the Justice League. They’re social outcasts, and they’re always at their best when they have to deal with that headfirst.

I find it ironic that in an issue advertised as having the “Brotherhood” of Mutants in it, the only two members who we see are both female. And now I almost want to hunt down those issues of Marvel Fanfare to see what’s up with Mystique and Carol. Alas, I don’ know if there’s an Essential of that.

Wait, did someone say Dracula?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home