Thursday, July 13, 2006

Strange Adventures And Apparitions #150

The Uncanny X-Men #150
“I, Magneto…”
Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum


Synopsis
Magneto makes his bid for planetary conquest, but is it really a horrific plan or could it usher in a new era of peace?

Rolling Commentary
Page 2. That was, ah, pretty amazingly badass, Magneto. I’m glad I wear my “Magneto Was Right” T-shirt once a week.

Page 4. I like how Scott can’t even conceive of the idea that Magneto would be saddened by Jean’s death. He can’t view Magneto as human in anyway, he sees only a vicious killer.

Page 7. I’ll say this for Magneto: He makes his point extremely clear.

Page 9. This page is funny but horrible at the same time…

Page 11. “Rescue mission”. Riiiiight. More like he’s on a vacation in the Caribbean while the X-Men are away.

Page 16. It’s the happy team reunion.

Page 17. Damnit, Scott, that line was totally uncalled for!

Page 21. Nightcrawler’s tail must be a lot stronger than it looks.

Page 22. Moral quandaries always cause Storm emotional problems, I’ve noticed.

Page 23. Yeah, I’m thinking Storm just blew her chance.

Page 24. Uh, Charles? Thought proof helmet? Yeah.

Page 26. All that effort for nothing. Can’t say I’m surprised.

Page 27. *Sigh* When will people ever learn? If there is no body, then they’re not dead. Come on, Magneto, you’re better than that!

Page 29. … But… where did this “emergency pack” come from? I don’t see it anywhere…

Page 30. I hope the X-Men appreciate that the only reason they’ve come this far against Magneto is that they caught him off guard.

Page 32. Again! Every! Single! Time! When will the X-Men learn not to send an armored up Colossus against Magneto! It’s a stupid, stupid move.

Page 33. Whoat! Helmet off! Oh, wait, Xavier’s just been knocked on the head. Never mind, they’re still screwed.

Page 34. I love the intensity of this battle. And if it was any other villain, I’d be with Wolverine on this one. But it’s Magneto, so I’m with Nightcrawler. Plus, you know, metal claws, Magneto, still a bad combination.

Page 37. See? Magneto feels horrible about what he did! He’s not such a bad guy, really.

Page 38. Eh, Kitty’s not so dead, really. And Magneto is an okay guy, if psychologically damaged.

Post Mortem
Hey, it’s the issue where Magneto starts to turn it all around! (sort of) It’s also really the first issue where we learn about Magneto’s origin. It’s a rather intense issue. Emotional, informative, and well paced. Magneto was always the coolest X-Villain, but here’s where he becomes one of the most interesting.

I’m going to let the issue speak for itself, rather than have me go on and on about it. If you haven’t read it, you really should. It’s quite excellent.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Late, but - one of my favourites. Love the Magneto back story.

Sue

8/08/2009 3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home