Wednesday, September 06, 2006

King of the Monsters! #1

Godzilla #1
“The Coming!”
Doug Moench and Herb Trimpe

Plot Synopsis
Toho Productions’ most famous monster comes to the Marvel Universe with panache!

Rolling Commentary
Page 1. You’ve got to admit: When you go see a Godzilla movie, you go to actually see Godzilla destroying stuff. Don’t you hate it when they spend 20 minutes wasting time on the human characters you don’t really care about before Godzilla even shows up? At least here we get started right away.

Page 2. Foolish Alaskan, haven’t you ever seen one of his movies? No one can escape Godzilla’s wrath!

Page 5. Godzilla is unleashing his inner eco-terrorist. Awesome. Take that, you American bastards!

Page 6. SHIELD vs. Godzilla. You know what? I don’t care what others say. This is quickly becoming my new favorite comic ever.

Page 9. Man, Godzilla is kicking SHIELD’s ass.

Page 10. Godzilla recap origin story a-go-go! Although that’s not quite how I remember it from the first movie…

Page 12. A prominent Japanese scientist with a grandson named ‘Robert’? Huh. That aside, it’s very nice to have a character suggesting that maybe just outright killing Godzilla isn’t the best of plans. And more anti-American sentiment! Awesome!

Page 15. You know, you can say that Woo and Dugan “antagonized” him by waving their arms around, but personally I prefer to think Godzilla was still pissed off at them for firing a laser beam at his face.

Page 16. Isn’t “Yuriko” a girl’s name? Meh.

Post-Mortem
That was wicked. I mean, it’s just an all out destruction-fest. Chaos! Rampant death! Setting the freaking Alaskan Oil Pipeline aflame! I mean, it’s just cool. I really hope this series keeps up the quality of this issue (I fear it won’t), because if it does, this will be one of the coolest books I’ve ever read.

I probably would be slightly less enthusiastic about the series if I was reading it in color though. I get the impression that Godzilla’s coloration is more than a little off. But alas, I’ll just ignore that here. This was a great issue, and an excellent way to start the series. Now the question is, what’s Tamara got in her case?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home