Saturday, July 01, 2006

This Issue! Things Get Worse! #139

The Uncanny X-Men #139
“…Something Wicked This Way Comes!”
Chris Claremont and John Byrne


Synopsis
The X-Men begin to cope with the loss of Scott and Jean from the team, and Wolverine decides it’s time to settle things with Alpha Flight and Department H. But what will he and Nightcrawler find up in Canada?

Rolling Commentary
Pages 2 and 3. First appearance of Wolverine’s brown costume. Although I’m not always a fan of Wolverine in a costume at all, if he has to wear a costume, it should always be this one.

Page 6. Wolverine is still the only X-Man to refer to Professor Xavier as Charlie and Chuck, as far as I know. And that’s quite alright with me.

Page 8. I always feel weird calling Kitty “Sprite”, or “Ariel” for that matter. I’ve always thought of her as Shadowcat. This isn’t a critique or anything, just me expressing what’s on my mind. Also, I love Wolverine’s response to Nightcrawler’s question. And Nightcrawler, didn’t you just get some from your adopted sister or something?

Page 11. First Heather Hudson!

Page 12. I love that last panel here.

Page 15. So Snowbird isn’t as lame as I thought she was. Still, is a bear really keeping a low profile? I know we’re in Canada but she couldn’t have gone with a squirrel or something?

Page 16. This scene is pretty humorous, really.

Page 18. All this stuff is from Hulk #180-181,Wolverine’s first appearance. I like to think Wolverine lost this battle because he was wearing a very ugly mask that tainted his awesomeness.

Post Mortem
This is a slow burner of an issue, clearly, with a lot of set up. Phoenix is gone for good, and Cyclops won’t be back for a while. Plus Angel and Kitty are on the team now, which continues to change the dynamic. Storm's in charge, with Wolverine effectively as second in command.

All that, and Wolverine decides to leave and go to Canada. Interestingly, Claremont does the exact same thing he did after the last Phoenix storyline (not counting the annual, Jean’s funeral was only last issue), jumping over from the cosmic level Phoenix stuff to dealing with Wolverine’s background in Canada. I don’t know if this is just coincidence or what, but it’s interesting.

Up next, Wolverine’s rematch with a Wendigo! Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home