Saturday, July 01, 2006

This Issue! Things Get Worse! Dante's Bastard Lovechild Edition!

King-Size Annual! X-Men #4
“Nightcrawler’s Inferno”
Chris Claremont and John Romita Jr.

Synopsis
It’s Nightcrawler’s birthday! Nothing could possibly go wrong, right? I mean, it’s not like the X-Men are going to get sucked into Hell or something with a title like that.

Rolling Commentary
Look kids! Romita Jr. artwork before it became all crazy-stylized! Awesome!

Page 2. I love that only Wolverine won’t sing. Oh, and Nightcrawler is 21, I guess. And was Nightcrawler’s present from Wolverine an autographed photo of himself? That's hilarious.

Page 4. Man, that’s tough. They just lost Jean too, and Cyclops left. This team is dropping like flies.

Page 5. Doctor Strange to the rescue!

Page 6. I’d like to point out that with that last panel here, I can either choose to believe Claremont or I can believe Chuck Austin’s incredibly stupid story of Nightcrawler’s origin. Guess which one I’m going to go with? (Hint: It won’t be Austin)

Page 7. Every time I read Dr. Strange’s speech bubbles, I can’t help but hear Dr. Orpheus’ voice speaking the lines…

Page 9. Gross tentacle monster! And now it’s got Storm too. I just hope there aren't cameras.

Page 11. Oh good. We’re in Hell. Lovely.

Page 12. Where do they keep getting their costumes from?!?

Page 15. Hey, does Minos kind of look like the Joker to anybody else? Just with better hair? It must be the grin. Also, I can’t tell if the last couple of panels are really heterocentric, or if I’m being paranoid.

Page 18. Man, Storm isn’t doing so well here, is she?

Page 20. Holy shit Wolverine is cool.

Page 24. Colossus is rocking it pretty hardcore here too.

Page 25. Colossus just had the best line ever in panel 1. Although honestly, the big rock circle thing they’re seeing doesn’t look so bad.

Page 30. … Whozawuzawhatnow?

Page 32. Random Nightcrawler origin craziness!?!?

Page 34. Wait a tic, Nightcrawler’s girlfriend is his adopted-sister in disguise? Yes Kurt, I’d agree that this is “too fantastic to be true”. Also, it’s really kind of creepy. But at least that explains why Kurt’s appearance was a turn on for her.

Page 35. Wolverine continues to be supportive of Kitty. Yay!

Post Mortem
Well… that was peculiar, wasn’t it? Nightcrawler’s origin is rather contrived, too. I’m not entirely sure what my reaction to this issue is supposed to be, honestly. It seems Claremont likes to have these big, epic fantasy stories that don’t make an overly large amount of sense in his annuals. Space Conan, Mock Hell, where do these fit with the regular stories?

It’s good that he has Dr. Strange in this issue, it makes it less jarring. Crazy weird shit like this happens all the time to Dr. Strange. The X-Men? Not so much. And Nightcrawler’s crazy gypsy family is a little messed up too. And by “little”, I actually mean “totally and completely”.

Was Claremont just in the middle of the Inferno when he realized he had to write an annual or something? It just comes out of nowhere, is all. It’s a rather peculiar story, and it doesn’t really fit in with what comes before. Hmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home