Friday, June 09, 2006

New X-Men? #99

All-New, All-Different X-Men #99

“Deathstar, Rising!”

Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum

Summary

Learning that Banshee, Wolverine, Marvel Girl, and Professor X are being held captive in an old SHIELD Orbital Platform, the remaining X-Men sneak onboard a space shuttle and head to rescue them- only to be confronted by more Sentinels.

Rolling Commentary

Before anybody gets started with regards to the title, I’d point out that this issue is dated June 1976, a full year before Star Wars came out. It’s not a reference, really. Oh, and the exclamation points are back, I guess. Alas. Excellent splash page by Cockrum, by the way.

Page 4. Man, Charles Xavier must have some very influential friends for the X-Men to be able to sneak onboard an international space flight. How exactly do Colossus’ gigantic shoulder pads fit under that spacesuit? And tough news about Peter’s brother, isn’t it. It’s too bad we’ll never get to meet him… or will we? (Bum, bum, bummm!!!!*)

Page seven, first appearance of Black Tom Cassidy, for those keeping score at home. Even if you can’t really see him. He’s there, I promise.

For the record, on page 11’s comment about Colossus fighting for the woman he loves: It doesn’t amount to anything. Trust me. However, on page 12, Colossus defending Olga Korbut out of honor for the Soviet People made me chuckle. There should be more open communists in comic books.

Wow. Scotty’s acting all manly on the end of page 14, isn’t he?

Umm… I’m not sure who the dude in shadow is on page 16 (I’m thinking either Professor X or Shadow King, but my gut says otherwise), but I’m stoked about it no matter what. And I know the last page is going to lead to some bullshit with clones or robots or something, but it’s a great page nonetheless.

Post Mortem

Okay, I have to say, Doctor Lang is not the scariest villain. That being said, Sentinels are always fun to throw at the X-Men. They make great scenery, as the X-Men rip them to shreds. It’s fun stuff.

Like I said last issue, now that things are really starting to happen, this book really is a page-turner. Excellent stuff, Cyclops is all full of rage at the thought that something might have happened to Jean, which is a lead up to what’s about to happen. And I know it’s just for the long time fans, but getting ready for the battle between the original “X-Men” and the current X-Men has me all giddy.

Next up is a super special issue 100! Although, I should probably tell you that issues 67-93 were all reprints…

*Sorry about that folks. Couldn’t resist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home