Friday, June 09, 2006

New X-Men? #98

All-New, All-Different X-Men #98

“Merry Christmas, X-Men…”

Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum

Summary

While celebrating Christmas in New York, the X-Men are attacked by a new batch of Sentinels. What’s up with these crazy robots, anyway?

Rolling Commentary

Hmm… looks like I got that wish about titles after all. Plus, Wolverine’s face for the first time ever!

I have got to point out panel 2 of Page 3 as being a “Yay Stan and Jack!” Moment. Though I’m pretty sure Stan never smoked (There’s a marginally famous picture of him holding a cigarette, but it was just used as a prop for the photo. And the fact that I know this bit of useless trivia clearly makes me some sort of super nerd.). On a different note, I have some small trouble believing that soulless android killing machines such as the Sentinels would state the obvious like that.

Page 10, another reference to Charlie’s “Mental Defenses”. I know he’s the most powerful telepath on the planet, but how precisely are his telepathic abilities supposed to protect him from a giant robot?

Wolverine comes to Jean’s rescue on page 13! It’s sweet, isn’t it? Plus, remember, Charlie is the only one on the team who really knows the full extent of Wolverine’s abilities right now. Yay for Adamantium!

Post Mortem

Ok, I admit it. At first, I was worried that everyone was crazy when they were talking about the beginning of Claremont’s X-Men run, because to be honest, the first three issues weren’t anything hugely amazing. Mindless fun, I suppose, but nothing to write home about. But now that things are really starting to get rolling, I’m really digging this stuff. This issue is at least as good as last, and the fun is up big time.

But the dialogue! Oh my. When I catch myself saying out loud “Wow (Insert X-Man’s name here). I can’t believe you said something that corny.”, it’s bad. I can’t decide yet if I really hate those moments or if I secretly love them.

Look kids! Marvel Girl was actually using her powers! Awesome! (sorry, it had to be said)

Also: Wow. Storm is fucking awesome. Now I get it. See, I’ve never understood why everyone loves her so much. I grew up in the nineties, and frankly, Storm was a very bland character in the nineties. She still is today. But hell, back in 1975 she was kicking ass and taking names, big time. So I’m left saying, “Wait, Storm was cool?!? Well then, what the hell happened to her?” And Wolvie’s attraction to Jeanie starts to be seen. Awesome. And we’re only 5 issues into Claremont’s run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home