Friday, November 17, 2006

King of the Monsters #11

Godzilla #11
“Arena For Three!”
Doug Moench and Herb Trimpe


Plot Synopsis
It’s Godzilla versus Yetrigar versus Red Ronin in the middle of the Grand Canyon! Oh, and I guess some random tourists are there too. Meh.

Rolling Commentary
A full plot recap? Man, we’ve been mercifully free of those until now. Alas.

Page 3. Gosh, kid, who’d have thought that when you shoot at giant monsters they get pissed off and come at you?

Page 4. So, I think Rob is trying to not kill Yetrigar, similar to not killing Godzilla, right? Accept Yetrigar wants to kill them both. Yes. This will end well…

Page 5. “Especially for you girls”? Excuse me?

Page 7. How the hell can he hear a few losers 300 feet below him in his giant, expensive and very well armored robot?

Page 8. Again, with panel 1 are we trying to teach some sort of life lesson to our younger readers? The narration is a bit off putting.

Page 10. You know, I’m just not convinced that getting closer to the giant monster battle is really the best action these guys can take. Although I am rather bemused that the macho jerks are injured and the ladies seem unscratched.

Page 11. Damnit, kid! Just let nature take its course. I really hate this moron.

Page 12. Not only did this kid stop Godzilla from defending an attack upon his life, he almost killed a bunch of defenseless rafters. Oy.

Page 13. Yes, who would have thought that firing a giant laser at Godzilla might make him angry with you? That's like twice in one issue that something that stupid happens.

Page 16. Finally, the kid starts talking sense!

Page 17. Gabe Jones is the kind of character that I feel like I should like, because of his stance on animal rights, but I really wish he would shut up.

Post Mortem
Okay, I enjoyed the battle, and I’m glad the little brat realized that he had no choice if he really, really wanted to end this. And Godzilla was surprisingly… forgiving of Red Ronin, wasn’t he? If anything, Godzilla was to passive in this battle. He kind of stood there and got beaten up, didn’t he? I’m not at all sure I approve of that.

I really, really hate that kid. He irritates me to know end. I hope Dugan takes immediate action to discipline Woo for letting that little bastard get out of his sight.

I need more Godzilla smashing action, I think. Let’s see what we’ve got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home