Saturday, June 10, 2006

New X-Men? #116

The Uncanny X-Men #116

“To Save The Savage Land”

Chris Claremont and John Byrne

Synopsis

As the X-Men go to confront Garokk the Petrified Man, half the team gets captured. Luckily, no one knows how to mount a rescue like Wolverine!

Rolling Commentary

I wonder if the X-Men notice those gigantic letters in the mountain face… And why exactly is it “thrice-damned”? Am I missing something?

Page 6: I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: Wolverine rules. And yay for Zabu! I always liked him more than Ka-Zar anyway.

Page 8. This may be the first time we hear about Wolverine’s super senses and healing factor. Awesome.

Page 13. Garokk is just all kinds of crazy, isn’t he? Plus, what’s up with him, anyway? Oh well.

Page 15. Don’t be sad, Storm, he was destroying the Savage Land. Plus, I’m pretty sure he’ll be back.

Post Mortem

I have no idea what Garokk’s deal really was, but whatever. The X-Men kicked his ass, awesome. I suppose I enjoyed this issue better than the second act of the last issue. Having Wolverine show off his powers for really the first time was fun to watch.

But seriously, what’s up with this Garokk dude? Is he really a god? Is he really a bazillion years old? Or is he just full of shit? I don’t know. And maybe if I had read that Ka-Zar series, I would (I doubt if it’s ever been reprinted). But alas, for now he’s just some crazy non-important X-Men villain.

Meh. Hey, don’t Jean and Professor X still think the rest of the team are dead? I hope that’s resolved next issue. (It won't be...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home